Who does not like long, thick and healthy hair? Is aloe vera good for hair? Is that what you are searching for? Well, then you are indeed reading the right space! Here we will tell you in detail how beneficial aloe vera is for your hair. More so, we have also got you’re the aloe vera for hair growth home remedies! All the hair masks mentioned below are super easy to make and extremely beneficial! Start scrolling down, and you are sure to have long, shiny, and healthy hair!
Here is one YouTube tutorial to help you grow your hair with aloe vera:
What is Aloe Vera?
Before we answer your question, is aloe vera good for hair, let us check out what the aloe vera plant is all about!
The aloe vera plant basically possesses thick leaves. When you cut the leaves, you will find a gel-like substance that is present inside them. You can find this wonderous plant in any part of the world. More so, it is a plant that can be easily planted at home.
For decades the aloe vera gel has been in use for the healing properties it possesses. You can also apply this super gel on your hair to keep your scalp healthy and make your hair strong.
You can apply the aloe vera for hair loss. It is always best to utilize the raw form of the gel onto your scalp. Even though several pharmacies and over-the-counter places sell aloe vera gel, it is always best you choose the natural form of aloe vera. You will find the aloe vera gel to be slightly watery consistency and is clear in its appearance.
Now that you know so much about aloe vera, we should check out the benefits of aloe vera.
Is Aloe vera good for hair?
Before we get into the details of aloe vera hair growth home remedies, let us check out the benefits of aloe vera for hair:
Can Calm the itchy scalp
We all get an itchy and flaky scalp that we commonly refer to as dandruff. But the clinical term for dandruff is seborrheic dermatitis. You can treat this condition by using aloe vera gel.
A study done in 1998 showed that you could cure inflammation of the scalp by applying aloe vera. The research concluded that you could, cure this condition due to the anti-inflammatory properties present in aloe vera gel.
Helps in deep cleaning oily hair
If you think of hair deep-cleaning, then aloe vera gel can prove to be a potent substance. It can clean your hair shafts deeply by removing the extra oil from the shafts of your hair. More so, it is more potent than many other products available in the market.
However, aloe vera can clean the strands of your hair without causing any harm to your strands. It is always best to use the aloe vera gel directly from the plant. That is because hair products usually contain plenty of chemicals that may cause other side effects.
Repairs and Strengthens hair strands
Is aloe vera good for hair? Wondering how? Well, aloe vera gel contains loads of vitamins like E, A, and C. These vitamins contribute to the goodness of aloe vera gel that makes your hair grow shinier and even promotes cell growth.
Aloe vera gel also contains loads of folic acid and vitamin B complex. These two nutrients help in keeping your hair intact and stops it from shedding.
But there aren’t many studies that confirm decisively that it helps to prevent hair loss.
Several products are available in the market that helps people protect their skin from the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays. People can avail of this benefit because it helps in building collagen. So, it is evident that it might help in making your hair strong.
Helps in promoting hair growth
If you are still searching if aloe vera good for hair, then the answer is indeed is yes! You already know you can condition and cleanse your hair using aloe vera. So, you can also slow down the hair loss by using aloe vera.
Though there is no clinical evidence that proves aloe vera can potentially stop hair loss. But several people have admitted that aloe vera can stop hair loss and even promote hair growth.
Aloe Vera for Hair Growth Home Remedies
Hair masks are the best hair growth home remedies that can benefit your shafts in different ways.
Since aloe vera contains several potential properties, it proves to be a great remedy for hair growth.
More so, you can ensure hair conditioning and even repair and heal your hair with hair masks. Hair masks can be bought at several stores or online. But it would help if you made your hair mask using aloe vera.
Here are the following aloe vera for hair growth home remedies:
Aloe vera and coconut oil hair mask
Aloe possesses several nutrients that are beneficial for your hair. Plus, coconut oil is a natural product that also helps in keeping your hair in good health. So, let us see how the aloe vera and coconut oil for hair work!
Ingredients you require:
- Aloe vera gel
- Coconut oil, preferably extra virgin oil
The process to Make and Apply hair mask:
- Take a bowl and add one tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil and only two tablespoons of aloe vera gel. Place the bowl into the microwave for a few seconds if the coconut oil solidifies.
- Start stirring and mix it well until the entire mixture blends in together into a paste.
- Take old t-shirts or towels to protect your clothing.
- First, divide your hair into parts and apply the mask onto your hair. You can use a brush; in case you would not want to let your fingers get messy.
- You can start applying from the middle of your hair shaft and gradually move towards the bottom. The moment you reach the bottom of your hair, go back to the scalp. You can also apply the hair mask on the scalp to cure your dandruff.
- You can take a wide-teethed comb to apply the spread out of the hair mask evenly.
- Now, it is time you use a plastic wrap or shower cap to wrap your hair. You need to protect your hair not to let your hair dry out completely. More so, by wrapping your hair, it might increase its moisturizing effect.
- Allow the mask to dry in your hair for about 30 minutes. For better effects, you can let your hair even stay up to one hour.
- Now, rinse the hair completely. You can use a mild shampoo to completely wash your hair as the gel-like substance may have a residue.
- If you have thick and long hair, you can try doubling the recipe for this hair mask.
Aloe vera and apple cider vinegar hair mask
After knowing all the benefits, are you still in search to know if aloe vera good for hair or not? If you suffer specifically from an itchy and flaky scalp, you can use this mask. It works to remove dandruff and works extremely effectively.
Ingredients you require:
- Aloe vera gel – 4 tablespoons
- Apple cider vinegar – 2 tablespoons
- Honey – one tablespoon (optional) You may or may not use honey as it helps in locking your hair’s moisture content. More so, it has a soothing effect. But if you are not keen on using honey, you may quit this part.
The process to Make and Apply the hair mask:
- Take a bowl and make a mixture of the aloe vera gel, honey, and apple cider vinegar.
- Mix the ingredients well to make sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Then, start from the middle of your shafts and move gradually towards the end of the hair.
- Apply on the scalp of your hair to keep away from dry, flaky, and itchy scalps.
- Use a plastic wrap or shower cap to cover your hair to retain the moisture of your hair.
- Allow the hair mask to dry for about 20 minutes. You can leave it one for another half an hour if desired.
- It is best to use this mask every alternative week.
Aloe vera and yogurt hair mask
Studies done in the year 2017 showed that yogurt could potentially help in reducing dandruff. The probiotics present in yogurt helps in this effect. It is always best to use unsweetened, plain, full-fat yogurt.
Ingredients you require:
- Greek yogurt, plain, unsweetened – two tablespoons
- Aloe vera gel – two tablespoons
- Honey – two teaspoons. (You may or may not use honey. It contains moisturizing effects that may be helpful for your hair.)
The process to make and apply hair mask:
- Take the yogurt and whisk it well using a whisker. Then take the aloe vera gel and make a smooth mixture.
- You can then take little portions of the hair mask and apply them to your hair shafts. Then, you need to apply the mask on the scalp too.
- Wrap your hair using a plastic wrap or towel for the moisturizing effects the hair mask possesses.
- Let the mask be on your hair for about 30 minutes. But remember not to keep it any longer. It would help if you used the hair mask once a week.
Risks of using aloe vera
Since you are searching to know if aloe vera is good for hair or not, it is best to consider all the possible effects. In general, the aloe vera plant is safe for use. But some people tend to get allergic to this plant. Many people who are allergic to onions or garlic can have an increased chance of being allergic to aloe vera.
If you are not someone who has used aloe vera gel before, it is best to start applying it in patches. You can always do a small test on your small skin parts like your wrist or elbow to check if you are allergic to aloe vera or not.
If you see any swelling, itching, or redness in a few hours after use, aloe vera is potentially safe for you to use.
But if you are using any steroid-based creams like hydrocortisone, it is best to consult your doctor before using aloe vera.
Where to get aloe vera gel?
As you know how to make aloe vera gel for hair, you may have a question about how to get aloe vera gel!
You can get aloe vera quite easily. If you are someone who lives in a dry and sunny climate, you might find a succulent grown naturally in your yard. You may also find several people who may harvest aloe vera at home.
Several grocery stores also sell aloe vera leaves. It is always best to get the aloe vera gel fresh from the plants. To obtain the gel, you will require a bowl, knife, and spoon.
You can always store the fresh aloe vera gel in airtight containers and keep them in the refrigerator for a week. If you happen to freeze the gel, it will last much longer.
But if you wish to harvest an aloe vera plant, you can visit a drugstore and get your aloe vera gel. Several online sites also sell aloe vera. But it is equally important you check out the ingredients present in the product you purchase.
Generally, aloe vera gel bought at the store contains thickening agents, medications, other herbs, and lavender. So, using these might leave adverse effects. It is always best to choose the product that contains little or no added ingredients.
Now you know well enough if aloe vera good for hair or not. It contains several soothing and healing properties. You can apply this super gel and be sure to have healthy, shiny, and long hair naturally in weeks.
Apart from applying the aloe vera gel, you can try out the DIY masks mentioned above. All these are super ingredients that will boost your hair growth and quality in no time. So, do try out these hair masks and avail all the benefits aloe vera provides.