If you’re looking for answers to solve your dandruff problems, you have landed in the right place. Your first question is likely to have one of the most common answers people look for – does dandruff cause hair loss? Indirectly, it does! And there is no way to sugarcoat this common hair problem that most men and women face at some point. Several factors contribute to dandruff and make it a chronic problem that leads to hair loss and stops regrowth.
We have taken an honest initiative in informing you about what causes dandruff, does dandruff cause hair loss, and some home remedies to cure it as well! So, if you have dandruff and you’re worried about it, start reading our blog. You will surely tell you some magical ways to get rid of dandruff by the time you finish reading this article!
Does Dandruff Cause Hair Loss?
Every second person you see suffers from dandruff. It is a persistent problem that everyone is anxious to know how to get rid of it. But are you wondering does dandruff cause hair loss? Well, there is good news! There is no concrete study or research that proves dandruff cause hair loss. However, they do have an indirect link with hair fall.
Just as you get any other skin problems, dandruff is the same as well. It is a scalp problem that you can completely cure. Dandruff is nothing but a fungal infection. The fungus feeds on oil that your scalp secretes. However, it is a curable problem. You can try out several home remedies for dandruff and hair fall and cure your problem in no time.
What causes dandruff?
Now that you know does dandruff cause hair loss or not, let us check out why it happens. After a lot of research, we have made a list of possible reasons that cause dandruff. Let us check them out below:
- Oily skin, more specifically an oily scalp, is one of the primary causes of dandruff
- When you sweat profusely, your scalp becomes oily and wet; you can add this too as a contributing factor towards dandruff
- If you suffer from tension and mental stress, it is possible that you can suffer from dandruff
- Pollution and changes in weather are also contributing factors; when you stay in a dry climate, it is possible that you may have a dry scalp.
Does dandruff cause hair growth?
When you are researching about dandruff, it is natural that you would want to know everything about it. So, we thought of highlighting our blog on every aspect that relates to dandruff. A common question that crosses people’s minds is that ‘does dandruff cause hair growth’? Well, there is no research that assures that dandruff causes hair growth.
But dandruff can affect your hair growth and cause a hindrance in the process. If you have dandruff, you may not find your hair growth rate to be usual. Moreover, it may be more likely to be prone to hair damage and breakage.
Dandruff can also make your scalp itchy, which will consequently make you scratch your scalp. All of which may result in damaging and hurting your hair follicles. Consequently, hurting your hair follicles may lead you to have more hair fall, spilt ends, and many more problems.
Does dandruff cause acne?
Acne and dandruff have a close link with each other. And most people who have dandruff are aware of this. If your scalp happens to be dry or oily, you can get dandruff and acne.
When you have dandruff, your upper chest, back, forehead, face, scalp feels itchy. Consequently making you scratch the affected areas. Moreover, if you have a scratchy scalp, dry skin flakes fall on your skin, causing acne.
On the contrary, if you have oily skin and an oily scalp, it tightens the pores with dirt and dandruff, thereby causing acne.
Simple steps to reduce dandruff and hair fall naturally
Now that you what causes dandruff and does dandruff cause hair loss or not, let us check ways you can follow at home to maintain good hair health. To reduce dandruff and hair fall problems, try to follow the simple steps below:
- Soften your hair and add moisture to your scalp by applying mineral oil or olive oil. Apply the oil to your scalp and leave it in for an hour. Finally, comb it before shampooing your hair. Combing your hair will ensure that the oil gets distributed well.
- Try to avoid harsh shampoo and conditioner. Always try to use a mild hair mask that will hydrate your scalp and prevent it from becoming dry.
- Also, try to avoid styling products as much as possible. Keep away from using hair sprays, hair gels, and other styling products if you want to treat dandruff problems.
- While you are treating dandruff and hair fall problems, try to use hairdryers, straighteners, and curlers as little as possible. That is because these styling tools will make your hair dry and cause more dandruff.
- Avoid hair products that contain alcohol. That’s because these can cause dandruff to flare up.
- Try to use medicated solutions for dandruff. You can use medicated lotions, shampoos, or creams that your dermatologist prescribes.
Home remedies to cure acne that dandruff causes
If you see yourself having acne problems and are sure it is because of dandruff, follow the steps below! Here we have gone through in detail ways to cure acne caused by dandruff. Check out the following:
- Coconut oil is antifungal in nature. So, you can apply coconut oil to your scalp and other acne-affected areas to treat both your problems. Coconut oil will kill the fungus that causes dandruff and acne. Moreover, coconut oil will work as a potent moisturizer as well.
- Tea tree oil has significant cleansing properties. It will remove dirt, sebum, dead skin cells, and other deposits from your scalp that cause dandruff and irritation.
- Try to use a combination of coconut oil and tea tree oil to remove dandruff and cure acne problems. You can massage the oil and leave it on for a good 20 minutes and finally use a mild shampoo to wash your hair. It will not only make your hair soft but will also help in removing dandruff.
- If you wish to cure acne, aloe vera can work as your magic wand. It will cure acne, dandruff, or any kind of fungal infections that you may have. All you need to make sure is that you use fresh aloe vera gel from the tree for the desired results.
- Curd contains antibacterial properties. So, it is helpful in curing acne caused by dandruff. Moreover, it also has natural properties that help in preventing antifungal infections of the scalp. You can perfectly exfoliate the dead skin cells deposited on the scalp that causes dandruff.
Home remedies for dandruff and hair fall
Home remedies are the best way to cure any of your problems. Now that you know does dandruff cause hair loss, start using home remedies to treat it. Apart from incorporating the simple steps to cure dandruff and hair fall, you can try these home remedies. These DIY home remedies are easy to try out and are incredibly effective. Just after weeks of trying out these remedies, you will notice your dandruff and hair fall problem to eradicate in a jiffy. So, aren’t you eager to know what they are? Start scrolling down and check out the complete guide to apply the DIY hair masks to get rid of dandruff:
Neem and coconut-fenugreek seed oil hair mask
Neem has fantastic anti-microbial, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. So, you can tout on neem as one of the best ways to remove dandruff from your scalp. Plus, it also helps to reduce acne.
Fenugreek seeds have antifungal properties. It is also high in iron and zinc, which helps to promote hair growth and reduces hair fall.
So, let us check out the way to make neem and coconut-fenugreek seed oil before we tell you how to apply it to your hair:
How to make the neem paste with coconut oil?
Check out the following:
- Take a few neem leaves, wash them thoroughly and blend them into a fine paste.
- Then take some coconut oil in a pan and warm it. Then add the neem leaves mixture to the oil and finally, boil it.
- After some time, take it off from the heat and allow it cool.
- Finally, squeeze the oil from the pan with the help of a cloth/sieve and store it in a jar.
How to make fenugreek seed oil?
You can always buy fenugreek seed from a grocery store. But if you wish to get the one that has no added chemicals, try to make it at home. Here’s what you need to do to make fenugreek seed oil at home:
- First, you need to soak the fenugreek seeds in a cup of hot water. Keep it for around 4 to 5 hours, but preferably keeping it overnight is the best.
- The next day, make a smooth paste of the seeds. And the process similar to what you have done for the neem oil.
You can always mix both the neem and fenugreek seed oil together and apply it to your hair. Massage it well into the scalp and also the strands of your hair. Preferably, leave it on overnight or if you are short of time for an hour or two. It will enhance your hair growth and make it healthy, strong and also protect hair from breakage.
How to make the hair mask?
If you want to make the hair mask, here’s what you need to do:
- Please take a few neem leaves, wash them thoroughly and blend into the mixture to get a fine paste.
- Add a tablespoon of curd to the neem paste. And mix it well.
- Apply it to your hair and leave it for 20-30 minutes. First, wash off the mask. After the residue comes off, use a mild shampoo.
- Try it out once or twice a week to get the desired results.
Lemon, honey, and curd hair mask
Lemon juice helps to treat itchy and dry scalp because of its antiseptic properties. It is a perfect solution if you are dealing with dandruff problems. Plus, lemon also gives shine to the hair and helps in removing dead skin cells.
Honey has antibacterial properties which can prevent infection. Moreover, honey moisturizes your scalp and hair, making your hair follicles smooth and adds a natural shine to your hair.
How to make the mask?
Here’s what you need to do:
- Take a mixing bowl and take lemon juice from 3 to 4 lemons. It is best if you use the juice fresh.
- Add honey, one spoon, and one or two cups of curd to the lemon juice.
- Use a whisker and make a fine mixture. Apply the mask to your hair.
- Leave it on for around 20 to 30 minutes. Then, wash it off using and use a mild shampoo. For the desired results, use the remedy at least two to three times a week.
As we bring you to the end of our blog today, we hope that you found out the answer to your question, ‘does dandruff cause hair loss? Apart from that, we have also given you a brief about how dandruff causes acne and much more.
So, start incorporating the simple steps into your daily regime and see how your dandruff problem goes away in no time. However, apart from using all the home remedies for dandruff and hair fall, you can also consult a dermatologist. In some instances, you may require medication to treat your problem! So, take the necessary steps and see your dandruff problem go away quickly!