Are you struggling with how to get rid of acne scars? Don’t panic about it as acnes are a prevalent issue, regardless of any age. Females moving towards adolescence or menopause have more chances of having acne than others.
You tend to get acne when the hormones of your body have an imbalance. So, while the hormones are not in sync, your body starts to generate extra oil. This excess oil clogs up in the pores of the skin and allows bacteria to grow. The result, in turn, becomes acne. So now, you know how acne crop up on your skin.
Do you try out new skin products and get vehement about them? Then you’ve definitely seen for yourself, how the scars look, after each acne breakouts. These acne scars blemish the skin and don’t vanish very easily. According to the appearance, acne has an erratic trench-like texture and is mostly brown or red in its hue. However, you will never know how much time an acne scar can take to cure. It may take several weeks or even months to go away. You must try and keep away from chemical-based medicines.
In this article, we will show you some home remedies you can try. But you must hold your patience to see how to cure pimples completely.
What causes acne scars?
An acne scar is usually the outcome of a painful sore like a pustule, cyst or papule. Lesions appear when bacteria, dead cells, and surplus oil blocks the pores. It is a minor lesion when, the follicle swells up, ruptures the membrane, and breaks near the epidermal area. However, if the membrane breaks deep, the putrid material oozes to the dermis and destroys the healthy epithelial tissues. Thus, causing the lesion to become severe.
A fibrous protein that instills your skin with elasticity and strength is known as collagen. So, the skin always forms a fresh layer of collagen to mend the impair done by a lesion. Even though the skin repairs itself but it never goes back to being what it was.
Different types of acne scars
How to get rid of acne scars? It is a common question each one of you may have. But before that, you must know what type of acne scar you have and then you can find the correct treatment for it.
There are three kinds of acne scars:
- Atrophic Scars: The appearance of these scars is like tiny dents in the skin. When acne starts healing and doesn’t produce sufficient fibroblasts, it leaves behind these kinds of scars. Fibroblasts are important cells that synthesizes collagen and heal wounds.
- Hypertrophic Scars: When acne heals and produces excessive fibroblasts, an elevated scar mark is left on the skin. These kind of scars are called hypertrophic.
- Keloid Scars: Keloid scars are similar to hypertrophic scars. But they heal to become much denser and larger than the acne itself. Since the fibroblasts accumulate, the color of scar also turns darker from the rest skin complexion. A sense of pain and itchiness is always left back with a keloid scar.
How to Prevent Acne Scars?
Acne scarring cannot be prevented completely. But however, you can control the chances of having an acne scar. Some of them are:
Treat acne instantly
Did you find an acne scar on your face this morning? Treat at once! That’s the best way you can take control of it. Visit your dermatologist if any of those beauty creams aren’t doing any good. Prompt action can control the breakouts and prevent scars from getting severe. Always remember, by controlling the small pimples, you’ll save yourself from serious scars.
Acne sores that are larger and chafed, tend to leave acute scars. But if you have blackheads or small breakouts chances of having a scar is less. So, always keep in mind to soothe inflammation and don’t apply any harsh beauty lotions, or aggressively scrub the affected area. This might further aggravate the irritation.
Keep your hands-off pimples
Do you have a habit of fiddling around with your pimples? Drop it off ASAP, if you don’t want the scars to remain. Stop picking-popping-squeezing your pimples. By doing that, the debris goes deep to the dermis, and the infection spreads to other tissues. The process can cause acute inflammation. Although, this kind of infection occur if you have serious, deep-rooted sores like-cysts or nodules, but it’s best not to fiddle around with it.
Stop peeling scabs
Scab is a new skin that forms a layer on the wound during the healing process. You must not peel off the scabs, as it will leave a scar and prolong the process of healing.
Knowing your skin
You need to know your skin-type well, and the probabilities it may have. Many people have a higher tendency to get scars. While many have acute acne and have no scar-marks at all. So, if you are more prone to having scar-marks, a dermatologist will guide you correctly.
Consult a doctor for severe breakouts
Always consult your doctor, if you have an acne cyst or inflamed deep acne. The big ones cause the scar deeper than the smaller pimples. So, you must not delay these blemishes by using unprescribed skincare products. The dermatologist will guide you in the best way possible.
How to get rid of acne scars?
You must have heard the phrase ‘stubborn as a mule!’ Yes! That’s exactly how scars are. However, one single treatment may not work for everyone. The doctor examines and suggests you one, or a combination of treatments, that will suit you best. Some of the possible treatments your doctor may prescribe are:
- Skincare at home: When the collagen forms a thick layer after the scar heals, it changes in color. In such cases, many skincare products may help. Sometimes using sunscreen can also help you remove the visible contrast.
- Injecting soft tissues: Fat or collagen can be injected into the notched scars with injections. This stretches the skin and the scars aren’t that visible. However, this isn’t a permanent solution and needs to be repeated at regular intervals.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing: Laser treatment is a process that enhances the appearance of the skin through lasers.
- Energy-based procedures: Many energy-based procedures like radiofrequency devices and pulsed sources can reduce the visibility of scars. These processes do not damage the outer layer of the skin. But the outcome is faint, and you may need to repeat the treatment periodically.
- Dermabrasion: Dermabrasion is a treatment for severe scars. The top layer of the skin is removed by a wire brush which rotates rapidly in the process. Through this, the topical scars are removed and make a deep scar less perceptible.
- Peeling off skin chemically: Very powerful acid is used to take off the top layer of skin and lessen deep scars.
- Needling: This is also known as micro-needling. Small and fine needles roll over the skin and prick it. This stimulates the underlying tissues, making the scars less noticeable. Needling is said to be simple, safe and very effective for scarring. However, the process needs to repeat periodically.
- Surgery: Punch excision is a method by which doctors cut and repair each wound by skin-grafting or stitching. Subcision is also another way to loosen the fibers under the skin which makes it look better.
- Botox injections: When the skin around the scars crimp, its relaxed by injections called Botox (which is botulinum toxin). The look of the skin improves by these injections, but it doesn’t last long and needs to be repeated often.
To know how to get rid of acne scars for you, speak to your dermatologist. Discuss the best way out and know the cons of it well, before you undergo any procedure all by yourself.
How to get rid of acne scars by home remedies?
Check out some of the best home remedies for removing acne scars:
Lemon being acidic acts as a natural bleach and can lighten scars. It also improves skin flexibility, removes dead cells and helps new cells to grow.
Process to use
- Use a cotton ball to put fresh lemon juice on the scar.
- Allow it to dry for 10minutes and wash it off with cold water. Repeat this twice a day.
Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil contains antioxidant properties that help remove scars and overhauls damaged skin. Follow the steps below to see how you need use it.
Process to use
- Take a vitamin E gel capsule and prick one end.
- Apply the gel that oozes, directly on your acne scar.
- Repeat the process twice a day.
Potato is very high in starch content that helps blemishes and scars to fade. Here’s how you can use potato to remove scars.
Process to use
- Strain out the potato juice after you grate it.
- Apply the juice to the acne scars.
- Allow it to dry for about 20 minutes. Wash it off and pat dry.
Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and also other skin healing benefits. Curcumin is an ingredient that is actively present in it. So, here we will show you how to get rid of acne scars by using turmeric.
Process to use
- Make a paste with a tablespoon of turmeric powder and lemon juice.
- Apply the smooth paste on your scars.
- Allow it to dry for 15minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
- Dry your face with a soft towel and apply a good moisturizer.
- Repeat this twice a day.
You can always use aloe vera as an acne scar treatment. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties in it. Here’s what you have to do.
Process to use
- Cut an aloe vera leaf open and scoop out the gel from it.
- Gently massage the gel on your scar marks.
- Let it absorb in for 30minutes. Then wash it off.
- You must repeat 2 to 3 times a day for best results.
Coconut oil is very rich in fatty acids and is also a source of vitamin E. Here we will show you how to get rid of acne scars using coconut oil.
Process to use
- Make a mixture of coconut oil and lavender oil.
- Gently massage it over the scar for a few minutes.
- Let it absorb into your skin for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- You must repeat it twice a day. You need to continue it for several weeks to get best results.
Baking soda may act as an exfoliate, to help in fading scar tissues layer by layer.
Process to use
- Make a thin paste with 2 teaspoons of baking soda and water, in a bowl.
- Gently apply the mix to your scars.
- Allow it to dry for a few minutes, and then wash it off.
- Regularize it once a day for a few weeks. Gradually you will see your scars to fade.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has acidic properties that reduce pigmentation and lightens your skin. It further, helps in repairing cells, removing dead cells and also promotes collagen production. Let us see how you should apply ACV for removing acne scars.
Process to use
- With equal proportions of unfiltered raw apple cider vinegar and water, make a solution.
- Soak the cotton ball in it and gently apply it onto the scars.
- Let it remain for about 5minutes.
- Wash it off with water and repeat it regularly.
Honey has healing properties and also acts as an antibiotic. These properties in honey helps in treating acne scars.
Process to use
- Gently apply honey on your scars. Wrap the area with a gauze or bandage. Let it remain overnight.
- Rinse it off in the morning with lukewarm water.
- Repeat it every day. Always do this before you sleep.
One of the best remedies for acne scars is witch hazel. They happen to be naturally caustic, which reduces redness and controls inflammation. It further helps to curb the growth of bacteria on your skin. You can try using toners, gel, wipes and other products that have witch hazel in their content ingredients.