Aloe vera is probably one of the most known skincare ingredients in today’s beauty community. It is an herbal plant to treat skin conditions like sunburn. But how do we know if aloe vera good for skin or not? Well, here will not only explain how it is good but also how you can use it.
The consistency of the aloe vera plant is gel-like from the inside. You will most probably find aloe vera in a vegetable market or plant it at your home. Many people buy aloe vera in packaged form to cut down on the lengthy process of buying a plant or extracting the gel from the leaf.
Aloe vera is high in nutrients, and you can even consume it daily in the morning. It will boost your immune system and even help you digest your food.
Even though the plant offers healing properties, you might wonder if it is safe to use aloe vera gel on face every day. Aloe vera is mostly safe for everyone, but we would still recommend you to do a patch test.
Aloe vera has the goodness of vitamin A, vitamin C, saponins, enzymes, amino acids, minerals, salicylic acids, and anti-oxidants. It is also extremely anti-inflammatory.
Although the popularity of aloe vera or trends related to the goodness of the gel is fairly recent, it is a centuries-old remedy for beauty and health. Some Greek scientists even call aloe vera “the universal panacea.”
How to extract the gel from plants?
Select a larger leaf and cut it from the base. Aloe vera plant has thorns, so you need to be careful. Then you use a knife and cut it into small pieces. After that, peel off the skin.
Then you have to use a spoon to take off the gel. You can keep the residue in a refrigerator.
Homemade aloe vera gel will last up to 15 days.
Check out the following YouTube video to understand better:
Benefits of aloe vera
Below we will discuss some amazing uses of the plant and why aloe vera good for skin, hair, and health.
Aloe vera for skin
Let us first discuss how aloe vera helps our skin:
Burns and Sunburn
Minor burns are treatable by using aloe vera gel on the affected area. Make sure to apply it quite a few times a day. It also treats sunburn.
Aloe vera might not be the most effective to prevent further sunburn issues, but it does help to soothe the area. You need to make sure you apply sunscreen every time you step out. Remember, aloe vera is not the alternative to sunscreen.
To moisturize the skin
Sometimes store-bought moisturizers can be greasy and oily on the skin. Since aloe vera consistency is gel-like, it will make your skin smooth and soft.
You can also use it as an after-shave moisturizer.
Aloe vera can also be used as an astringent. It will minimize the sizes of pores and remove the excess dirt and sebum.
Do you know that aloe vera good for skin to treat acne? Yes, it has anti-microbial properties that help reduce acne. Since it has gibberellins and polysaccharides, it helps to reduce redness and inflammation caused by acne. You will slowly see your acne die down and get back your clear skin.
Aloe vera protects against bacteria as it has antiseptic properties. It would help if you kept in mind that aloe vera does not work for cystic acne or hormonal acne. It is advisable to talk to a dermatologist about it.
Lightens the blemishes
You might be wondering how to use aloe vera for skin whitening and brightening. Aloe vera has gibberellins and polysaccharides, which boost new cell reproduction.
That’s why it treats pimple marks, stretch marks and makes them lighter. If you want to lighten your freckles and age spots, mix few drops of fresh lemon juice in your aloe vera gel.
One of the most asked questions about the gel is, “does aloe vera get rid of wrinkles?”. If you already have existing wrinkles and fine lines, then aloe vera cannot do anything. However, it can delay future wrinkles and lines.
The gel does not reverse your lines but prevents you from getting any more in the future. This is why aloe vera good for the skin, and you start using it soon.
Some studies even said that drinking aloe vera juice might help collagen production in your skin; collagen prevents aging signs. However, a lot more research is need to done on this subject.
For Skin Irritation
Aloe vera will be a wonderful addition if you have sensitive skin. Since it has cooling properties, it will help in the reduction of redness and rashes.
It is also anti-fungal, so it will help to treat heat boils that happens during summer. That’s why many face and body moisturizer has aloe vera as one of the key ingredients. But you need to do a patch test before you apply it on your inflammatory skin as it can cause allergy if it gets in contact with dermatitis.
Aloe vera good for the skin to exfoliate
Aloe vera gel contains salicylic acid that is a type of BHA (beta hydroxy acid). Salicylic acid is actually good for skin exfoliation, as it gently removes the dead cells. That’s why sensitive people can use it too.
Salicylic acid can seep deep into the skin, making the skin clear from the deep inside. Thus, this is another reason why aloe vera good for the skin.
Homemade face packs
- You need an equal amount of aloe vera gel and honey and a few slices of cucumber. Blend the cucumber in the mixer and make a paste. Apply it to your face and neck for 20 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- You need to mix 5-10 drops of tea tree oil with aloe vera gel. Apply it as the last step in your nighttime skincare routine. Leave it overnight. Rinse it in the morning and do these two or three times a week.
- You need to add one-fourth of a small banana in a bowl, then one tablespoon of rose water, and add it to the aloe vera gel. Make sure to damp your face before you apply it. Once it dries up, please remove it.
- You have to add aloe vera gel and apple cider vinegar in a 2:1 ratio. Aloe vera has exfoliating properties, and so does apple cider vinegar. ACV is also anti-inflammatory, and mixing it with aloe vera will also soothe the skin. If you do not have ACV in your house, you can also add physical scrub like brown sugar or coffee in your aloe vera gel. Please do not use it more than twice a week.
- Aloe vera good for skin brightening when it is used with turmeric. First, you need to blend raw turmeric and then mix it with aloe vera. The main component of turmeric is curcumin. It helps in reducing hyperpigmentation. Use this three times a week.
Aloe vera for hair
Here is how you can use aloe vera for hair care:
For itchy scalp
A study done in 1998 suggested that aloe vera helps in treating inflammation caused by dandruff.
Dandruff makes the scalp itchy and flaky. Applying aloe vera with resolve this problem.
You can use aloe vera gel as a normal conditioner.
Apply aloe vera gel on your damp hair after you wash it. Let it sit for some time, and wash it off.
You can apply this aloe vera conditioner on your scalp too. You can also use it as a leave-in conditioner or a pre-wash hair mask.
No more oily hair
Aloe vera can clean the excess oil and sebum in your hair. Good thing it does not strip off too much, making the scalp dry.
Aloe vera doesn’t hurt your hair strands while it cleans. Unlike other chemicals in hair products, aloe vera is gentle and preserves the integrity of your hair.
Strengthens hair strands
Aloe vera promotes hair growth and makes it shiny. It has vitamins A, C, and E, and all three of them help hair growth.
Aloe vera also helps in the reduction of hair fall as it contains vitamin B12 and folic acid.
Although more research is needed to be done if aloe vera really helps in the decrease of hair fall.
Since it has vitamins, aloe vera might work for your hair damage caused by the sun.
May promote hair growth
Though it is not proven scientifically, many people claim that aloe vera promotes hair growth.
The pH level of aloe vera gel is the same as our hair needs to be. Thus, making it an amazing product to balance out the pH level of your hair.
Homemade hair mask
- You need to have egg yolks, coconut oil, or olive oil and mix it with aloe vera. Make a smooth paste. Apply it all over your hair and scalp and cover your hair with a shower cap. Please keep it for 30 minutes. Wash it with mild shampoo and conditioners.
- You need to mix aloe vera and onion juice or onion oil in a 3:1 ratio. Apply it to your hair and scalp. Leave it on for one hour before washing it.
- You have to mix your shampoo with aloe vera in an equal quantity. Then add some lemon juice. Just keep it on for 15 minutes and wash it with cold water. This helps if you have greasy hair.
- Cook coconut oil and aloe vera gel on a low flame for 20 minutes. Then get the mixture to room temperature. Massage this on your scalp and keep it for a minimum of 2-3 hours before washing. If possible, keep it overnight. This will help you treat your dandruff.
- You need to mix aloe vera and yogurt in equal quantity and then add honey and olive oil. Massage it for 10 minutes and keep it for another 20 minutes before washing. This mask will ensure your hair is smooth and silky.
- Another effective way to treat dandruff is to add neem oil with aloe vera. You need to mix about 15 drops of neem oil in 3 teaspoons of aloe vera gel. Apply it the night before you wash your hair. Do it six times a month for best results.
Aloe vera for health
Finally, let us see how aloe vera can improve our health condition:
Relief from heartburn
Heartburn happens due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). GERD is a digestive disorder.
Research recommends that 30ml-60ml of aloe vera gel at mealtime can help to prevent GERD. It can also help with other digestive issues.
Keeping produce fresh
Applying a thin layer of aloe vera gel on your fresh vegetables and fruits will block bacteria development. This will make keep all your vegetables and fruits fresh much longer.
An alternative to mouthwash
A study in 2014 showed that aloe vera gel is works excellent as a mouth wash. It is even suggested to use aloe vera extract instead of store-bought mouthwashes.
It will also help in preventing any plaque and will help if your mouth is bleeding.
Lowering your blood sugar
People with type 2 diabetes can consume 2 tablespoons of aloe vera juice every day, which will cause blood sugar levels to fall. Thus, for diabetes treatment, aloe vera can be used. However, people who take glucose-lowering medications for diabetes should not have aloe vera to lower the blood sugar level than needed.
Aloe vera can help to treat cold sores outside the mouth. You need to apply aloe vera gel 2-3 times a day to treat mouth sores.
Side effects of aloe vera gel
Yes, aloe vera good for skin and hair, but you need to know few things before you use it:
- If you are going to drink aloe vera juice, remember it contains latex. Latex can give you digestive issues, like stomach pain. Topically it is safe. However, more research is needed for accuracy.
- Consuming the juice might lower the potassium level in your body. It might cause irregular heartbeat, faintness, and nausea. Older people and people who are suffering from sickness should not use it.
- Fresh aloe vera gel might not suit everybody. It might cause irritation and rashes.
- Aloe vera does not mix well with sunscreen. So, it is better not to use it in the morning.
- Even though aloe vera helps to moisturize the skin, experts said overuse would make your skin dry. The enzymes in the aloe vera exfoliate, and if you exfoliate it too much, then your skin either becomes too oily or dry.
- You should also be careful with topical aloe if you’re using hydrocortisone cream on your skin. Aloe vera can increase the amount of cortisone absorbed by your skin when the two are used together.
Even though aloe vera has been in use for centuries, more research needs to be done. If it suits you, then aloe vera is good for you. Moreover, aloe vera is suited for most people but still do a patch test before applying it.